Monday, January 17, 2011

Stuff!

I went shopping today. For maternity clothes. Wahoo? Found an Old Navy store with a Maternity section, but boy was the selection there dismal. (There are a couple other stores in the area that have Maternity, so I will try my luck there next.) And wow I hate shopping. Which is strange, because I normally love shopping. My mother likes to call me a fashionista, which drives me nuts, but it's kind of true, so this was a weird experience. I still don't really NEED maternity, and I'm not buying pants for as long as I can help it (or at all, if I can manage), but my pre-pregnancy wardrobe is, shall we say body-conscious (aka TIGHT) and therefore 95% of my tops are now too short and awkward and terrible. So I need some interim, sorta-pregnant clothes. The trip wasn't totally a bust. I got two super long camisoles and a couple of plain v-neck tees and a couple of black dresses, which look like they will be able to fit a substantial belly. But the whole lot is black, gray, and white, completely unembellished, and utterly boring. Fine for basics and layering pieces, which is what they are, but I need fun things, too, and I have no idea where to find that. It seems that maternity clothing seems to all be basics. And the whole, everything is too big for my boobs thing seems to be doubly true with maternity clothes. Anything I tried on that seemed like it would be able to fit me when I'm big was gaping ridiculously in the bust and at the arms. So hopefully I fill out at some point. Blah. But I did pretty good, since all of that, plus a t-shirt for hubby cost me under $60 with employee discounts and sales and all that, so I guess I can't be bummed. I think my next stop will be target, and also buying buttloads of stuff online and returning most of it, because it seems like all the interesting pieces and colors are online-only. Boo.

Anyway, it turns out the Old Navy the I went to was across the street from a Babies 'R Us, and I had some extra time so... why not? Actually, Kyle agreed to go with me to one next weekend to freak ourselves out and whatever, but I figured it couldn't hurt for me to get a head start so we're not both completely overwhelmed on that trip. And goodness, overwhelmed I was. I have no clue what I need or want or why I should even care about this or that feature, and holy crap all this shit costs a lot of money. I mean, I guess that is why God invented the internet and everything, but how does everyone else even deal? Or maybe while I was reading every thing I could get my hands on about pregnancy and natural childbirth, all the other girls were researching travel systems and pack 'n plays and diaper genies. I don't know. I guess we'll figure it out.

So we're going to go and freak out and hopefully bring Kyle one step closer to actually realizing that we'll be the proud owners of a real live infant six months from now. And probably start a registry because first great grandchild! On three of four sides! People are already buying me shit! And because I am a materialistic American, and registering is fun and I will not apologize for that.

Sorry for the really lame post.

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to a destination maternity store? That's been my favorite so far. They have some good sale items. Babies R Us was way overwhelming to me at first, too. But once I started registering online, I got pretty used to and excited about it. Just start clicking...it gets easier. ;-) I have issues with Babies R Us though. I register for things online and then all of a sudden they'll go out of stock on a lot of items and I have to adjust my selections. But I guess it's easiest for people to buy from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wandered through a Motherhood store once or twice so far, but I haven't really found anything that appealed to me. I wear mostly natural fibers, so all the acrylic and polyester looks uncomfortable to me. And I seem to find that they are often sold out of anything cute in sizes other than an XL, which I am decidedly not. A Pea in the Pod is just exorbitantly expensive. There is apparently a destination location sort of close to my work, though, so I'll have to swing by there.

    If it was up to me I would probably test things out in the store and then just "register" with an Amazon wishlist and call it a day, but our families really seem to need to have a brick & mortar store to shop at.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...